IMAN Resources has released its report for India’s import of coal for August 2021.
- August 2021 total coal and coke and imports at 15.15 million t are down by 11% over 2020 imports of 17 million t and down by 6% over previous month’s figure of 16.13 of June 2021.
- Pet coke imports continue their precipitous fall. Imports in August 2021 were just 0.19 million t down 75% on y/y and 36% on m/m basis. Imports in August 2020 was 0.776 million t and 0.302 million t was in July 2021. Total 8M21, imports were down 64% at 2.524 million t compared to 7.145 million t in corresponding period of 2020.
- Thermal coal imports in August 2021 total 8.96 million t 21.82% down over August 2020 and 7% down over July 2021.
- India’s has imported 11.46 million t in August 2020 and 9.648 million t in July 2021. Total import during January – August 2021 stands at 99.151 million t, up by just 2.67% compared to 96.571 million t in same period of 2020. However, imports are still not at 2019 level. During January – August 2019, India has imported 120.43 million t.
- Coking coal imports continue at their elevated levels over the previous year but have started decelerating since March 2021. August 2021 coking coal imports total 4.077 million t up 23.44% over August 2020 figure of 3.302 and 10.32% down over July 21 figure of 4.546 million t. Imports in March 2021 peaked at 5.273 million t.
- In 8M21, total coal and coke imports are at 151.58 million t up by 8% over same period of 2020 figure of 140.2 million t. Thermal coal imports are marginally up 2%, Pet coke is down by 64% but coking coal is up by 40%. PCI went up by 30%..
Coal seaborne trade
Seaborne trade has improved a lot during 8M21. but Total volume has not reached to 2019 level i.e. 950 million t. Total seaborne trade of coal is at 905 million t in 2021.
Also, supply from major exporters is still not at normal level. IMAN can see only Russia is able to supply more coal in international market.
On the demand side, China and Vietnam are back on track and showing incremental demand of coal, when other markets are still behind. India’s demand is down by 15% in 1H21 compare to 1H19. It is hoped India will be back in normal demand in 4Q21.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcoal.com/special-reports/01102021/iman-indias-import-coal-coke/
You might also like
DRA Global has secured the contract for a major design package for Whitehaven Coal’s Vickery Extension Project located in New South Wales, Australia.