- Doosan Power Systems India has received the Notice of Award for a coal-fired project in India worth US$294.35 million from the National Thermal Power Corp.
- GE has announced that it will supply its advanced wastewater treatment equipment for an upgrade of Indianapolis Power & Light Company’s Petersburg Generating Station.
- Tata Power, through its joint venture company Industrial Energy Ltd, has synchronised the second 67.5 MW Unit of its 3 x 67.5 MW IEL Kalinganagar project.
- At Public Service Company of Oklahoma’s Northeastern station in Oologah, the plant’s coal-fired unit 3 has commenced operation with newly added emissions reducing equipment.
- B&W wins a US$18 million contract to engineer, manufacture and install a power plant replacement reheater at Xcel Energy’s Pawnee generating station.
- Kibo Mining continues to attract strong Tanzanian government support for the Mbeya coal to power project.
- Linc Energy and PT Sugico Graha sign agreements to develop commercial underground coal gasification projects in Indonesia.
- Caterpillar Inc. has reported that Doug Hoerr is to become Vice President with responsibility for the Material Handling & Underground Division.
- Caterpillar has also announced officer retirements and further consolidation of divisions.
- The Timken Co. appoints Roellgen, Ruel and Connors to Executive Sales and Marketing roles.
- Karen Peetz resigns from SunCoke Energy’s Board of Directors and the company make two new additions to the board.
- Siemens and thyssenkrupp renew their collaboration for conveying system solutions in the mining industry for another five years.
Restructuring and refocusing
- BHP Billiton makes new operating model to increase efficiency and accelerate productivity.
- Orica Ltd has completed the restructuring of its Minova group as a stand-alone business unit dedicated to ground control solutions for the mining, geotechnical and construction industries.
- Teck Resources has restructured its senior management following a number of retirements of senior executives.
- Southern Company has taken leadership of the Carbon Capture International Test Center Network (ITCN).
- The Competition Tribunal has approved the takeover of Optimum Coal Holding Ltd’s Optimum coal mine and six other target firms by Tegeta Exploration and Resources.
Financial and operational results
- New World Resources Plc has released its financial and operating results for 2015.
- Noble Group Ltd has warned it is expecting a net loss for 4Q15 of approximately US$1.2 billion for 4Q15 due to falling coal prices.
- Vale reports its coal production results for 4Q15 and 2015 are down compared to last year.
- Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd has released its financial results for 2015.
Not to be missed …
- Researchers at the Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory are studying the uses of copper in combatting climate change.
- Opening arguments have been presented to the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit in the legal challenge to the US Clean Power Plan.
- According to a US EIA report, coal consumption in the electric power sector decreased 18% from 2008 to 2014 in the US yet coal shipments made either exclusively or partly by rail has remained near 70%.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcoal.com/power/26022016/weekly-coal-news-highlights-22-26-february-2016-309/