In response to recent positive cases of COVID-19 at two steelmaking coal operations and a construction project in the Elk Valley of British Columbia, Teck has implemented enhanced response protocols and preventative measures to safeguard workers and local communities.
In addition, an on-site review of Fording River Operations and the water treatment facility construction site conducted last week by Interior Health confirmed Teck is taking the correct steps to manage transmission of COVID-19.
Enhanced response protocols and preventative measures include:
- Mandatory use of C95 or KN95 respirators in indoor settings and workspaces for all employees, contractors and visitors.
- Implementing enhanced and increased screening of all individuals arriving at site to reflect current provincial health restrictions.
- Temporarily reducing the workforce at the Active Water Treatment facility construction site.
- Reduced occupancy of the Elk Valley Lodge contractor housing facility.
- Implementing proactive self-tracking of interactions and close contacts by all employees and contractors.
- These additional measures build on existing protocols and measures already in place at Teck’s sites.
There are currently seven active cases of COVID-19 at Fording River Operations, four active cases at Elkview Operations, and 14 active cases at the Active Water Treatment Facility construction project adjacent to Fording River Operations. These results relate to testing that took place between 30 November and 12 December 2020.
Teck is working closely with public health authorities and has taken all necessary steps to manage the risk of transmission, including tracing all potential contacts, disinfecting work areas, and directing all employees and contractors to self-monitor for symptoms and self-isolate if required.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcoal.com/coal/24122020/teck-provides-covid-19-update/
You might also like
DRA Global has secured the contract for a major design package for Whitehaven Coal’s Vickery Extension Project located in New South Wales, Australia.