At the Callide Oxyfuel Project in Central Queensland, the world’s first industrial scale demonstration of oxyfuel combustion and carbon capture technology has been completed.
- During operational completion in March 2015, the project achieved the following targets:
- Carried out an extensive R&D programme.
- Carbon dioxide injection tests at the CO@CRC Otway project in southwestern Victoria.
- 14 815 generation hr.
- 10 268 hr of operation in oxyfuel combustion mode.
- 5661 hr of industrial operation of the carbon capture plant.
Dr Chris Spero, Callide Oxyfuel Project Director, said: “We successfully tested oxyfuel technology and carbon dioxide capture under ‘live’ power station conditions for more than two years, and our results show it is ready for the next steps toward commercial application.” According to Dr Spero, the project has made key global contributions to helping find ways to producing clean and affordable electricity generated from fossil fuels.
Edited from Press Release by Harleigh Hobbs
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcoal.com/power/16062015/moving-towards-a-cleaner-energy-future-2432/