OSMRE announces 2016 coal mining award winners
The Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE) has announced the winners of the 2016 Excellence in Surface Coal Mining Reclamation Awards, which honor coal mine operators who have carried out exemplary reclamation of the land they have mined after production is completed.
This is the 30th year that OSMRE will give awards to operators who ensure their on-the-ground performance not only conforms with the mining permit, but is exemplary within that state or geographic area; that other mining activities at the site do not detract from the award-winning activity, and that they have no outstanding violations or past record of not abating violations. The judges based their selections on:
- The difficulty of achieving reclamation under existing conditions.
- The effectiveness of the on-site work.
- The transferability of the on-site practice to other reclamation projects.
- Whether the project increased public awareness of the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA).
- The project’s long-term benefit to the community.
- The extent to which the project exceeds the spirit and intent of SMCRA.
This year’s honourees are listed below:
- National Award
- Northampton Fuel Supply Co. Inc.
- PA Surface Mine Permit, Loomis Bank Operation
- Appalachian Region Award
- Oxford Mining Co. LLC
- Daron-Consol Mine
- Mid-Continent Region Award
- Solar Sources Inc.
- Cannelburg Mining Complex
- Western Region Award
- BHP Billiton Mine Management Co.
- Navajo Mine
The 2016 Excellence in Surface Mining Awards will be presented at the 2016 International MINExpo in Las Vegas, Nevada on 28 September 2016.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcoal.com/mining/24082016/osmre-details-2016-coal-mining-award-winners-2310/
You might also like
Seawing automated kite system to be installed on the CORONA CITRUS
Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd. and Electric Power Development Co., Ltd. have decided to install the “Seawing,” an automated kite system using wind power, on CORONA CITRUS, an 88 000 DWT-type special coal carrier for J-POWER.