Mark Cutifani, Chief Executive of Anglo American, said: “Production is up 2% for the quarter, due to the successful ramp-up at Minas-Rio and strong performance at Metallurgical Coal following the longwall moves and plant upgrade work in 1Q19. Kumba Iron Ore continues to improve following 1Q19 production challenges. De Beers, in view of prevailing market conditions, will continue to produce to demand for the year. We remain broadly on track overall to deliver this full year’s production targets, with an increase to Minas-Rio guidance offsetting two reductions at De Beers and Kumba Iron Ore.”
- De Beers’ diamond production decreased by 14% to 7.7 million carats in the quarter, as we continue to produce to market demand and as Venetia transitions from open pit to underground.
- Copper production increased by 1% to 159 100 t due to strong performance at Los Bronces and Collahuasi.
- Platinum production increased by 3% to 520 300 oz and palladium decreased by 1% to 347 200 oz, due to a change in mix of production from each operation.
- Kumba’s iron ore production decreased by 9% to 10.5 million t due to plant maintenance.
- Minas-Rio’s iron ore production was 5.9 million t as its strong ramp-up continues ahead of schedule.
- Metallurgical coal production increased by 11% to 5.8 million t due to generally stronger performance and the completion of 1Q19 longwall moves.
- Thermal coal production decreased by 8% to 6.6 million t primarily due to local drought conditions at Cerrejón.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcoal.com/coal/18072019/anglo-american-shares-its-production-report-for-2q19/