Skip to main content

BP accesses four CBM production sharing contracts in Indonesia

World Coal,


BP confirmed today that it has signed four new coalbed methane (CBM) production sharing contracts (PSCs) in the Barito basin of South Kalimantan, Indonesia.

BP and co-owner Pertamina were jointly awarded the Tanjung IV CBM PSC through a direct award from the Government of Indonesia. BP will hold a 44% participating interest in the PSC with Pertamina holding the remaining 56%.

BP and co-owner PT Sugico Graha (Sugico) were jointly awarded the Kapuas I, II and III CBM PSCs through a direct offer from the Government of Indonesia. BP will hold a 45% participating interest in the PSCs with Sugico holding the remaining 55%. Together, the four PSCs cover an area of approximately 4,800 km2.

Bob Dudley, BP group chief executive, said: “Today’s agreements follow on from BP’s recent agreements to access new resources in Indonesia, China, India and Australia. BP has significant experience and expertise in the development of unconventional gas, including CBM, and we look forward to working with our partners to apply this to the potential of Indonesia's coal resources.”

“BP is very pleased to be extending our working relationship with Pertamina in the development of Indonesian CBM resources, and also to cooperate with Sugico in creating a material CBM position in a highly prospective basin. These four PSCs complement BP’s existing CBM position in Indonesia, allowing us to leverage our 30+ years of CBM experience to deepen our portfolio in Kalimantan,” said William Lin, BP's president of Asia-Pacific exploration and production. These awards mark BP’s first CBM access in Indonesia outside its joint venture with ENI, VICO, which in late 2009 was awarded the Sanga Sanga CBM PSC near the Bontang LNG plant in East Kalimantan.

Read the article online at: https://www.worldcoal.com/coal/05042011/bp_accesses_four_cbm_production_sharing_contracts_in_indonesia/


 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):