To date the company have not recorded any cases of COVID-19 among the Whitehaven workforce but the it continues to plan for a range of scenarios.
It is managing risks arising from COVID-19 appropriately and proportionately, and continuing to work as normally as possible. However, it has implemented a number of measures designed to continue to keep its people safe and limit viral transmission.
Key measures include:
- Banning non-essential travel.
- Implementing work from home practices for employees in non-operational or non-business critical roles.
- Restricting non-essential access to its mine sites.
- Postponing large gatherings such as its Safehaven conference and contractor safety forums.
- Transitioning face to face training and inductions to eLearning packages wherever possible.
- Reviewing cleaning and sanitation, and increasing stocks of cleaning and hygiene products.
- Sourcing additional critical products, PPE and health supplies as required.
- Adjusting operations to practice social distancing wherever possible, including by breaking up pre-starts into multiple groups and/or moving them outside where possible, reducing the number of people in vehicles, and implementing roster changes to stagger start time.
- Sharing new information with its people through a range of channels as it becomes available.
- Offering to credit special personal (sick or carer’s) leave to cover self-isolation.
For months, the company has worked closely with its suppliers to maintain continuity of supply, and the company are ensuring its IT systems support the increased numbers of its people who are working remotely.
As the largest private sector employer in North West NSW, the company are conscious of its role in supporting the local economy and contributing to local commerce. the company are doing everything the company can to ensure the company maintain this contribution during the difficult months ahead while keeping its workforce safe and healthy, in compliance with advice from state and federal authorities.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcoal.com/coal/01042020/whitehaven-coal-response-to-covid-19/
You might also like
Bettercoal has announced the establishment of its South Africa Working Group – a member-led group focusing on coal in South Africa.